read about the effects of paintbrush syndrome in comments by curtis to doug’s recent post, “defending israel.” in essence, it is unfair (and an instance of the frowned-upon “paintbrush syndrome”) to refer to more than one muslim group in the same breath. curtis has written:
I think you are affected with paintbrush syndrome. You see one Arab do a bad thing and then they are all guilty.
Please donâ€™t catch paintbrush syndrome where you paint all Arabs as terrorists. Weâ€™re talking about thousands of citizens captured in Palestinian terroritory here, not Al Queda in the mountains of Afganistan. There is a big difference.
Again, you are suffering from paintbrush syndrome here.
You are equating a whole nation with being the same as Al Queda. Iâ€™m not here to be educated by you at this point. My main job is to try to shake you from this severe case of paintbrush syndrome you suffer from. Al Queda is not the same as the Palestinians. Hamas and Hezbollah are different.
unfortunately the wise sage, curtis, will now need to pen an email to his friend al-zawahiri. because al-zawahiri has committed the unthinkable. he has equated al-qaeda (and, indeed, all of islam) with the palestinians and with hezbollah. from CNN:
In a taped message broadcast by Al-Jazeera television, Ayman al-Zawahiri said “We cannot just watch these shells as they burn our brothers in Gaza and Lebanon and stand by idly, humiliated.”
“The shells and rockets ripping apart Muslim bodies in Gaza and Lebanon are not only Israeli (weapons), but are supplied by all the countries of the crusader coalition. Therefore, every participant in the crime will pay the price,” al-Zawahiri said.
“All the world is a battlefield open in front of us,” said the Egyptian-born al-Zawahiri, second-in-command to Osama bin Laden.
“The war with Israel does not depend on cease-fires … . It is a Jihad for the sake of God and will last until (our) religion prevails … from Spain to Iraq,” al-Zawahiri said. “We will attack everywhere.” Spain was controlled by Arab Muslims until they were driven from the country at the turn of the 16th century.
Al-Zawahiri declared that Arab regimes were complicit in Israeli fighting against Hezbollah and the Palestinians.
“My fellow Muslims, it is obvious that Arab and Islamic governments are not only impotent but also complicit…and you are alone on the battlefield. Rely on God and fight your enemies…make yourselves martyrs.” [video is apparently available at CNN]
oops. even the dimwitted bin laden brown-noser, ayman al-zawahiri, knows this fight is between muslims and the civilized world. yet curtis does not understand how this could possibly work. he condescendingly refers to it as “paintbrush syndrome.” nevermind that the US state department has connected al-qaeda and hezbollah in the past:
US State Department
November 4, 1998
Bin Laden, Atef Indicted in U.S. Federal Court for African Bombings
According to the indictment, bin Laden and al Qaeda forged alliances with the National Islamic Front in Sudan and with representatives of the Government of Iran and its associated terrorist group Hezballah with the goal of working together against their common enemies in the West, particularly the United States. [source]
but you don’t really need to find any connection, per se, between hezbollah and al-qaeda to know the former organization is violent and dangerous. just look at the worst terrorist acts of the last 30 years:
– November 1979: Muslim extremists (Iranian variety) seized the U.S. embassy in Iran and held 52 American hostages for 444 days, following Democrat Jimmy Carter’s masterful foreign policy granting Islamic fanaticism its first real foothold in the Middle East.
– 1982: Muslim extremists (mostly Hezbollah) began a nearly decade-long habit of taking Americans and Europeans hostage in Lebanon, killing William Buckley and holding Terry Anderson for 6 1/2 years.
– April 1983: Muslim extremists (Islamic Jihad or possibly Hezbollah) bombed the U.S. Embassy in Beirut, killing 16 Americans.
– October 1983: Muslim extremists (Hezbollah) blew up the U.S. Marine barracks at the Beirut airport, killing 241 Marines.
– December 1983: Muslim extremists (al-Dawa) blew up the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait, killing five and injuring 80.
– September 1984: Muslim extremists (Hezbollah) exploded a truck bomb at the U.S. Embassy annex in Beirut, killing 24 people, including two U.S. servicemen.
– December 1984: Muslim extremists (probably Hezbollah) hijacked a Kuwait Airways airplane, landed in Iran and demanded the release of the 17 members of al-Dawa who had been arrested for the bombing of the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait, killing two Americans before the siege was over.
– June 14, 1985: Muslim extremists (Hezbollah) hijacked TWA Flight 847 out of Athens, diverting it to Beirut, taking the passengers hostage in return for the release of the Kuwait 17 as well as another 700 prisoners held by Israel. When their demands were not met, the Muslims shot U.S. Navy diver Robert Dean Stethem and dumped his body on the tarmac.
– October 1985: Muslim extremists (Palestine Liberation Front backed by Libya) seized an Italian cruise ship, the Achille Lauro, killing 69-year-old American Leon Klinghoffer by shooting him and then tossing his body overboard.
– December 1985: Muslim extremists (backed by Libya) bombed airports in Rome and Vienna, killing 20 people, including five Americans.
– April 1986: Muslim extremists (backed by Libya) bombed a discotheque frequented by U.S. servicemen in West Berlin, injuring hundreds and killing two, including a U.S. soldier.
– December 1988: Muslim extremists (backed by Libya) bombed Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, killing all 259 on board and 11 on the ground.
– February 1993: Muslim extremists (al-Gama’a al-Islamiyya, possibly with involvement of friendly rival al Qaeda) set off a bomb in the basement of the World Trade Center, killing six and wounding more than 1,000.
– Spring 1993: Muslim extremists (al-Gama’a al-Islamiyya, the Sudanese Islamic Front and at least one member of Hamas) plot to blow up the Lincoln and Holland tunnels, the U.N. complex, and the FBI’s lower Manhattan headquarters.
– November 1995: Muslim extremists (possibly Iranian “Party of God”) explode a car bomb at U.S. military headquarters in Saudi Arabia, killing five U.S. military servicemen.
– June 1996: Muslim extremists (13 Saudis and a Lebanese member of Hezbollah, probably with involvement of al Qaeda) explode a truck bomb outside the Khobar Towers military complex, killing 19 American servicemen and injuring hundreds.
– August 1998: Muslim extremists (al Qaeda) explode truck bombs at U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, killing 224 and injuring thousands.
– October 2000: Muslim extremists (al Qaeda) blow up the U.S. Navy destroyer USS Cole, killing 17 U.S. sailors.
– Sept. 11, 2001: Muslim extremists (al Qaeda) hijack commercial aircraft and fly planes into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field in Pennsylvania, killing nearly 3,000 Americans. [source]
to someone like me, proudly afflicted with “paintbrush syndrome,” it is not so much the name of the organization doing the killing. i can recognize a pattern when i see one.